Saturday, March 07, 2009

Fact for Fiction


Fact or Fiction

Last fall, my romantic suspense novel Final Deposit came out. It's the roller coaster ride of a daughter who tries to get her father untangled from an on-line financial scam. (You can order a copy here)

I recently received a letter from one of my readers that reminded me just how true the set up of my story is. Several weeks ago, this reader met with a friend who mentioned getting a call about a prize she'd won. All she had to do was send in money for taxes and legal fees. Because my reader had just read my book, warning bells began clanging in her mind. And she was right. Her friend had fallen for a fraud that ended up turning into a nightmare. One of the hardest things has been that her friend has invested her hard-earned money into the scheme, she still wants to believe that it will all turn out okay in the end. All she needs to do is send in a little more money. . .and a little more. . .and a little more. . .

Something that's completely untrue.

"If it hadn't been for your story, I wouldn't have picked up on what was going on, and I would never have expected the two-steps-forward-three-steps-back situation we're dealing with."

The truth is, there are dozens of frauds being played out on line everyday and just as many people falling for them. And while it might be beyond belief that anyone could be as heartless to swindle another person this way. . .it's happening.

The bottom line is that you must be careful before agreeing to send anyone money. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!

Blessings,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment