Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pass the salt please. . .


I've always considered myself a fairly good cook. I love trying new recipes, especially ones from other countries. Sometimes, though I tend to be a bit too adventurous. Like today for example. We were invited to spend Thanksgiving with a group of Americans Scott met at our school and they asked me to bring a desert.

Now I was a bit nervous about baking something. I may know how to cook, but with few pans and different ingredients, it can be a challenge to say the least. So I had to decide what to take to this afternoon and being me, decided something a bit.. .adventurous.

A very popular sweet here is called Beijo Do Coco Da Bahia (don't quote me on that) or coconut balls. I made some last night to see how they tasted. They looked awful, tasted great, but looked more like macaroons. Not what I wanted. So I searched on line for another recipe. This one with condensed milk, a very popular ingredient. I decided on chocolate balls and coconut balls.

The chocolate balls came out sticky. Very sticky. But I managed to roll them in chocolate powder, then put them in the small papers.

The coconut balls took less time to cook, but were sticky as well, so I jumped back on line and after doing some research added a cup of sugar. This worked great. Or so I thought.

I took a small bite to see how it tasted and gagged. Wait a minute. How can you go wrong with sweetened condensed milk, sugar and coconut?

Obviously you can go wrong. . .very wrong. I checked the sugar bowl for the culprit and sure enough. The bowl was filled with salt!

Thankfully, I'd only added the salt to half the recipe, so I was able to salvage the rest with sugar.

So for today, may each of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Remember to thank God for the ways He's blessed you this year. He is so good.

Blessings!

Lisa

To make your own coconut balls here's the recipe.

14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 C coconut
1 C sugar
up to a half a stick of butter.

Cook in a heavy pot for several minutes, stirring constantly. Allow to cool. Form into small balls. Roll the balls in coconut, place in a small muffin paper, then add one clove in the top of each. (This is for flavor, don't eat)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment