Thursday, October 21, 2010

The grass is always greener...


You've heard the expression that the grass is always greener on the other side. It's something I've had to talk to my children about, because it's so easy to slip into that mindset.

Here's the proof from my kids when looking at the US.

"Mom, they have donuts, parks, bottomless fountain drinks, youth groups, mexican food, Dr. Pepper (do you notice the food trend here?) Starburst, Golden Corral..."

Okay, it does all sound great, but then I'm reminded of what Paul said in Phi 4:12.

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

Wow. Now this is how I really want to live. In contentedness and peace no matter what the circumstance.

Now don't get me wrong, there are some great things about being back. Especially when it comes to efficiency. For example, we walked into a store last weekend and twenty minutes or so later walked out with cell phones and internet service. This would never happen where we live. Everything we try to do takes time--a long time. But in all honesty, that's not always bad.

I actually like the slower pace, no traffic living, simpler living where I don't have to spend my days rushing from place to place.

So even when it takes us a half dozen times to get anything done, or when the power and internet is off, I want to remember to be content. Or on the other side when I'm stuck in Houston traffic, trying to decide what shampoo to buy (does there really need to be so many choices?) and running my kids around, I will be content.

What about you?

Be blessed today!

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:18 AM

    Lisa, I am so blessed by this. Its so healthy for the kids to grow up and know they need to learn contentment in all things. That will teach them many good lessons. Its so refreshing to hear your heart on the issue and how God is doing such a beautiful job as long as I have known yawl with exceptional parenting skills. So humbled and at peace with the way you deal with them and the love that is behind it all. Truly love this one. Thanks for blessing me. Your righting is beautiful, so genuine and heart felt, the Lord has given you so many gifts. It makes me feel so good inside and at peace in my heart that Mariah and her brothers are happy and learning valuable lessons! Thanks for posting! Love yawl!

    - Erin C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Erin. I'm glad this blessed you!

    ReplyDelete