Monday, June 28, 2010

Tribute to Allen

For those of you who haven’t heard yet, Allen Avery, Scott’s uncle, passed away Saturday night after struggling with a brain tumor for many months. I want to thank all of you who have prayed for him during this time, and for his wife, Janelle, and their family.

I couldn’t begin to count the number of miles Scott and Allen traveled together throughout Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi, and South Africa, teaching and preaching across southern Africa. Allen was our mentor, co-worker for the past six and a half years, friend, spiritual counselor, and a father. He was, to my children, their grandfather, who shared his life with them.

But while are hearts remain heavy, we rejoice that his body, mind, and spirit are now free as he is no longer confined to his physical body. After serving in Africa for forty years, he is receiving his reward.

Thanks to you who have already sent us your heartfelt condolences. We have been having some serious issues with both the Internet and phones lines, so if you’re waiting to hear from me and haven’t, that is why I am slow in responding.

Scott will be leaving for the US in the next day or two to attend the funeral. We would appreciate your prayers for his safety, and for Dez, a close friend from South Africa, as they travel. And of course, for Janelle, and the rest of the family as we all miss this wonderful man.

I’ll close below with a poem Mariah wanted to share.

Blessings,

Lisa

GRANDPA

Grandpa, oh Grandpa!
Why? Why?
Why did you have to leave us and die?
All I can say is good-bye.
I love you, I love you, so very much.
You were my present worth so much,
More than many, many pieces of gold.
My heart’s desire is to see you again,
But you’ve met with God, today.
I love you Grandpa.

Mariah

1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely tribute Lisa, and including the poem. I understand Allen will be a great loss. My very best wishes, Ann

    ReplyDelete