Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Conference time


Sunset in Swaziland

I’m leaving this afternoon for Denver to be a part of the American Christian Writer’s Conference in Denver, Colorado. The trip has made me do some reflecting of my writer’s journey that started almost thirteen years ago. I started out knowing only that I wanted to fulfill a childhood dream of writing a book, never imagining where it would take me.

It’s been full of ups and downs, hard work, steep learning curves, rejection letters—many, many rejection letters-- and after six years my first contract. But what an amazing journey. It has taught me disciple and patience. It has brought to me amazing friends who have critiqued with me, cried with me, and rejoiced with me.

I think one of the most surprising things about this journey has been the spiritual side. My characters’ spiritual journeys is often my own and as they grapple with issues, it’s often really me longing to understand more about God and how He works in our lives.

Psalm 139 says, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for m were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

How amazing that whatever our journey, with its ups and downs, hard work, rejections and rejoicing, that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us, who knows us intimately, and has called us to be His own.

No comments:

Post a Comment