Sunday, March 22, 2020

Where are you God?: Life in Crisis

From October 30, 2009

The suspense series I’m working on right now is about ordinary people faced with extraordinary situations. They’re not secret agents or spies sent to save the world, but instead people, like you and me, who’s lives are changed through both the challenges they face and their reliance on God.

But as we all know, a crisis isn’t limited to the pages of a fictional story. And in real life, the ending is rarely tied up neatly. Many of us have walked through a situation where the pain and heartache seemed out of control and there was nowhere to run.

In the past few weeks that I’ve been back in the States, I’ve had opportunities to meet with a number of people whose lives are in crises. As I’ve cried with them and prayed with them, one verse has really stuck with me. Paul says, “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18.

We live in a fallen world. Life is hard. There is sickness, financial struggles, loneliness, and loss and while it’s impossible to always understand “why” there is one thing that we can cling to. Isaiah 41:10 tells us not to fear, because “I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

God never said that all difficult situations will be taken away. In fact I Peter 4:12 tells us not to be surprised at the painful trials we are suffering. But through Christ and the workings of His Spirit, the void can be filled. James tells us that we are blessed when we persevere under trial, because we will "receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (James 1:12) With God as our strength and heaven as our goal, the journey is worth it.

Keep your eyes focused on Him today!

Lisa Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment