Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Where are you God?: Flying with Eagles

From August 16, 2007

If I look ahead at the next few months, it's easy for me to find myself in a bit of a panic. (Hmmm. . .sounds a bit like facing a pandemic!) Moving to another country is simply not easy. We have to work with governmental offices to get required permission to stay, find housing when options are extremely limited, start learning Portuguese, make sure the kids stay up with their school work during all the changes, keep on track with my editor deadlines. . .like I said, it's not easy. And that doesn't even begin to add into the formula the actual ministry work which is the reason we're doing all of this.

Stress, no matter what's going on in your life, is always there at one level or another, so I know you can understand what I'm talking about. Ever have those mornings when you wake up and wish you could bury your head under the blankets so you don't have to deal with life? Even good things cause stress and leaving us needing to come up for air now and then. I'm very excited about moving to Mozambique, but that doesn't take away all the stress of wondering how in the world I can find the energy to do this.

I often read through the Psalms when the worry hits. David has a way of reminding me that God hasn't left, and that He cares for every aspect of my life. Yesterday, I needed a spiritual pick-me-up, so I turned to the Psalms. On my way there, though, something in Isaiah caught my eye. 

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary, and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who put their hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31 

This is probably a familiar verse to many, but it's such a powerful reminder. We don't put our hope in money, careers, possessions, or even relationships. We put our hope in God. And He in turn will give us the strength we need for each day. 

One of the most incredible things I've ever done here in Africa is a flight we took last summer on a small plane. We flew over Victoria Falls and the pilot got permission to circle over the falls. The view from the air was amazing and it's an experience I'll never forget. I was flying with the eagles over one of the most spectacular places God created. 

He wants us to put our hope in Him. To trust Him completely for what you need. 

Put your hope in God, and fly!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment