Thursday, February 21, 2013

Never say never

I've said it more times than I can count.

I will never. . .

I will never move again. I will never learn another language. I will NEVER send my children to boarding school.

So as you might imagine, the decision to send my eldest off to boarding school didn't come easy for me. How could I let people I didn't even know help me to raise my teen? Wouldn't it ruin our relationship? I cried, fought God, but eventually have come to realize what a great opportunity this school is for my child.

I just returned from spending a little over a week with our eldest who is attending a missionary boarding school in Kenya. I got to hang out with him over meals, watch him play basket ball, attend some of his classes, and spoil him.

At one point he told me how a lot of his American friends can't understand why he is at boarding school. Isn't boarding school where you send your child you can't control, or when parents don't really love them? He's quick to tell them that isn't true. With options limited where we are, he wanted to go. He loves his school, and is blessed with opportunities I can't give him where we live that will equip him for the future.

One thing I did realize while I was there is how important it is for us to visit, meet his teacher, and just confirm to him how much we do love and miss him. He loved being spoiled with a plateful of somosas from the little cafe in town, and iced coffee from the city.

Below are a few shots I took of him playing basketball. This is only his second season to play, and while I might be his mom, he is really good.

I've learned through this that sometimes my plans are not God's plans, but He is able to bring good out of difficult situations, and provides for our needs.

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans." Proverbs 16:3

Be blessed today,

Lisa





1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:09 AM

    My precious daughter, you never cease to amaze me and I am taught and inspired constantly by you. My heart is full of love for you. Mom

    ReplyDelete