Saturday, June 06, 2009

Random Photos from Africa and Open Doors


I downloaded photos today and thought I'd share some from our daily life. I've posted them below, but first, Elise recently ask if I would share how Scott and I decided to move to Africa. The question has reminded me of the amazing ways God works in our lives. About seven years ago, we knew we wanted to move back to the mission field, but we weren't sure where God was calling us. At the time, we were looking at joining friends in Japan and started pursuing that option. But as much as we wanted to work with them, God closed every door with a resounding slam.

I remember going to church one Sunday feeling a bit discouraged. The sermon was on missions and we both believed strongly that we wanted to go, but again, where? On the way home, we talked about different options and Scott mentioned how he'd love to work with his aunt and uncle who'd been on the field for over thirty years. They'd mentioned us joining them in passing, but it wasn't ever anything formal. "If they sent us a letter of invitation," Scott then said, "I'd go."

Scott dropped us off at home while he went to do some errands. I sat down and checked my email and immediately began bawling. There, in my inbox, was an official invitation for us to join his aunt and uncle in the work in Africa. Two years later, we moved our family to Joburg, South Africa.

We spent a number of years with them in South Africa, working throughout Zambia and Zimbabwe until again, through a set of amazing circumstances, God called us to move to Mozambique to expand the ministry. For me, these "God moments" are what keeps me here, because I know without a doubt that this is where He wants me.

I'm also reminded, though, that there have been times when I couldn't feel God's presence or the peace He's promised. We all struggle, especially when faced with heartships, to hear God's voice. If you feel that way today, look to the times when He has worked a miracle in your life. He has promised to be our strength when we are weak, to give us hope when we are hopeless, and to love us when we feel unlovable. It’s never relying on our own strength to get us through difficult times, but leaning on the mighty arm of God and being continuously filled with His Spirit. Isaiah 41:10 says not to fear, because “I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

How has He spoken into your life recently? Are you still waiting to hear His voice? I'd love to hear from you!


Scott teaching at one of the house churches.



Jayden finally has his own room. Because we need more beds due to all of the company coming through, we took down the school room which gave us a small, extra room for him. His friends had fun helping him put the bunk bed together.



One of our newest disciple, Anthony (right) with David, our evangelist.



After a year of waiting for a new transformer and dealing with the lack of electricity, they are working on upgrading electricity for the entire neighborhood. You can see why this photo has me smiling!!



New ice cream shop in town has become a special treat.



We've learned to be careful driving through town. This isn't a tree growing in the middle of the road, but a warning that there is a hole. I saw a truck run over one recently and the hole was big enough to literally swallow his front tire. Took a dozen guys to lift the vehicle out.

Blessings!

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:07 AM

    I tend to forget. Thank you for the reminder that God is with us always. There are times when I really wonder. In fact, today was one of them. Thank you!

    Anita in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita,

    Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing. I believe we all need that constant reminder that God truly is with us and loves us.

    I was also reminded again today how God decides how many stars are in the sky and that He calls them by name. He causes the grass to grow and provides food for the ravens. He knows the number of hairs on our head. He knows our heart, our joy and our pain, and He loves us. Wow!

    Blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete