Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Where are you God?: A Crown, a Shepherd Boy, and a Handful of Torches

From 2008:

I don’t know about you, but as a writer, I have found that my character’s spiritual journey often mirrors things that are happening in my own life. 

In Blood Covenant, the main character, Paige, feels far to small for the task God is calling her to do—something I can certainly relate to at times. Throughout the course of the book, she comes to the realization that if she is going to survive, she will have to admit her weaknesses and fears and rely completely on God’s strength.

Paul has some powerful words in II Corinthians 12:9-10 that have to do with our weaknesses.

“…he said to me. “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me…For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (NIV)

Paul is telling us that it is through our weaknesses that we are made strong because of Christ’s power. I don’t know about you, but those words sound pretty incredible to me. And there’s more. At the greatest moment of weakness, according to the world’s point of view, Christ’s death on the cross brought victory, allowing God to enter into a relationship with us through that sacrifice. He loves us that much.

Still thinking you’re too small? Think again. 

Today, we're facing things we've never had to think about before. Our world looks different than it did just a few short months ago. And in the middle of the crisis, it's easy to feel overwhelmed, weak, and lost. 

There are numerous examples in the Bible of men and women who God called to serve Him in an extraordinary way through His power. Gideon was victorious with only three hundred men, a handful of trumpets, jars, and torches. Esther became queen in order to save her people from the threat of death, David was a shepherd boy who became king of a nation, and the list goes on and on. 

So what does that have to do with you?

God calls us in the middle of our ordinary, run-of-the-mill, take-out-the-trash-and drive-the-kids-to-school routine. So stop and ask yourself this one question. How do you see God calling you to make a difference in your world?

You might feel inadequate to follow God’s call as a writer, a parent, student, or whatever your situation might be, but never forget that the God who created the universe loves you and wants to be your strength. He’s the one who will give you the strength to do what He has called you to do.

Be blessed today!

Lisa Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment