Saturday, April 14, 2007

Musings from a Tex-Mex girl

Okay, I admit it. Living in Texas for almost seven years before moving here completely converted me to the wonderful world of Tex-Mex cuisine. We used to visit these small hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Dallas that had some of the best Mexican food I’d ever tasted. Quesadillas, tacos, fajitas, guacamole. . .I love it all!

I honestly didn’t expect to find Mexican food here in South Africa. We learned fairly quickly that everything tastes a bit different here. Even if it’s an American brand. This often translates into my recipes during out to be quite different that I envisioned. (Remember the gingerbread?)

This isn’t a bad thing, mind you, just different. I’ve come to love South African braais, their Indian food and curries, (something I never enjoyed in the states), not to mention mealie-pop and sauce cooked over a fire. Even my kids love this. So both countries have their have their pluses.

But I still miss my Mexican food.

Last weekend we took the kids to a new restaurant in town. We rarely eat out, so this was a special treat for all of us. And even bigger treat for me was that this restaurant features Mexican food.

I choose the quesadilla, one of my favorites. Thick tortillas filled with chicken, salsa, and. . .cottage cheese?

Yep, you read that right. The lumpy sour cream was cottage cheese.

I studied my plate. I can take the salsa not tasting anything like Pace. I can take the lemony guacamole. But cottage cheese?

I had to laugh.

Tonight my Peace Corps friend is coming over and guess what we’re having for dinner. HOMEMADE fajitas, guacamole, and REAL sour cream. I can’t wait.

Blessings,

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Okay, that is just WRONG. Spelled any way you want it...W-R-0-N-G!! You poor girl. :-D Then again, your Peace Corps friend is lucky--homemade fajitas and guacamole. Wow, now I know to feed you bad Tex-Mex when you come back so you'll get aggravated and make REAL homemade stuff. LOL Just kidding. Gotta get you to an Abuelo's QUICK! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abuelo's, Girl? I'm on the next plane to Texas! :-)

    ReplyDelete