Friday, April 17, 2020

Where are you God?: Is doing the impossible, possible?





From December 13, 2012:

I wanted to weep this morning when I finally met him for the first time, we will call him Mike. He smiled up at me with those big brown eyes, a little shy and timid. His parents have died. He doesn’t know how old he is, we guess about 8. His stomach is still swollen from being sick.

The sores he had on his body a few weeks ago are healing from gifts of soap and food, but as I looked at him, I wondered about his heart. Does he feel loved? Does he feel scared at night? Does he feel alone?

Yesterday, the hospital diagnosed him HIV+. I’m not sure he understands what that means, but for one so young, who has been through so much, the road ahead is going to be hard.

And he isn’t the only one. The hospital asked us to help them follow up on those they are trying to work with in the villages, actually pages worth of names. There are many more who are dying. So many who feel lost and alone. They need to know that they are loved. That they aren’t alone. That there is One who created them and loves them.

But it still seems completely overwhelming to me. My mind spins as I try to figure out where to start? Can I really do anything to help?

My youngest and I are reading J. Hudson Taylor’s autobiography. Taylor was one of the first missionaries in to China many, many years ago. As we read together, I find that his story is convicting me over and over. His faith. His prayer life. His passion. His love and faith amazes and humbles me.

All God's giants have been weak men who did great things for God because they reckoned on God being with them.” J. Hudson Taylor

It’s not a new idea, but for me it is still profound. I’ve thought about it many times when what I see around me seems impossible. It makes me encouraged to realize that I don’t always have to be strong. I don’t have to have all the answers. All I have to do is listen and follow His call.

Even when it seems impossible.

There are three stages to every great work of God; first it is impossible, then it is difficult, then it is done.” J. Hudson Taylor

What I see here might seem challenging, but isn’t unique to this part of the world. You don’t have to look far to see people who are hurting. It’s come to the point to where I don’t want to check out the news anymore. There is so much hate, anger, hopelessness, and evil in our world.   

Maybe you are the one who is hurting. Maybe you feel unloved, scared at night, and alone with no answers. We might live in a fallen world, but there is hope.

Which means we as a church must move out of our comfort zone and make a difference. Give even when it hurts. Love the unloveable. Give hope to the hopeless. Share Christ’s message of life.

I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize that He is able to carry out His will for me. It does not matter where He places me, or how. That is for Him to consider, not me, for in the easiest positions He will give me grace, and in the most difficult ones His grace is sufficient.” J. Hudson Taylor

Paul said it this way in II Corinthians 4:17. “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.

Be a blessing today,

Lisa Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment