Sunday, July 05, 2009

Encouragement for the day. . .



"As the deer pants for steams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." Psalm 42:1


I’ve never been a particularly patient person. Maybe it’s because I always seem to be waiting on something. I was reminded today of Abraham and Sarah. There must have been great rejoicing for Abraham and Sarah at the birth of Isaac, a child who had been prayed for and desired for many, many years. What joy there was when all the neighbors came to celebrate the birth of this first born. Some years later, the Bible says God decided to test Abraham.

Hmm. . .these moments that test my faith are usually even harder than patience! And can you even begin to imagine the thoughts that flew threw Abraham’s mind?

"God, he is my only son. The seed that you promised."

"God, I waited years to have this son, I love him."

"God, why are you doing this to me? It is not fair."

"God, I’ll give you anything, just not my son."

I can think of a few of my own questions I would have liked to ask God, but God didn’t ask for Abraham to decide what he would rather give up. He asked for his only son. And even though he must have had many feelings of doubt, fear and anger, the Bible says early the next morning Abraham got up and left to do what God had told him.

Wow.

Later, Abraham stood with the knife in his hand. When he raised it to kill his only son, he was stopped by an angel of God. What relief he must of felt, what joy. What faith Abraham had in God. Abraham called the place, "the Lord will provide."

What an amazing testimony of faith.

I’ve been reminded lately of God’s faithfulness and how I need to long only for Him. The road we’re on isn’t always easy, but He’s always there, giving us hope, strength and direction.

How has the Lord provided for you recently?

Blessings,

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Love that part... "I need to long only for Him."

    As you know, we've been in a brutal desert time of our lives, and God has walked us out into the lush, tropical, "paradise" part now. He's provided spiritually, emotionally, and physically. This economic time and our financial history said it wasn't possible to buy a home, but God MADE a way. And now, I'm sitting in the office of my new home. YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony! Thanks so much for sharing, Ronie! Praising God with you!

    ReplyDelete