Monday, June 05, 2006


OUT OF THE MOUTH OF BABES. . .

This is my sweet daughter, darling princess. . .and language tutor. It’s amazing how quickly kids can pick up a language and how humbling it is when your children have to correct your pronunciation. When we lived in Joburg, English was everywhere, so I never considered learning Afrikaans. Now that we’ve moved to a more rural area of South Africa we are finding Afrikaans spoken everywhere.

Today, I sat outside with Mariah, laughing together as she tried to teaching me some of the basics. She speaks without an accent. I can barely pronounce the words, especially considering that every other word comes straight from your throat. She laughed with me and tried to get me to gutteralize the words. (okay, that’s probably not a word, but hopefully you get the point.)

Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.” Matthew 18:3-5

May we all have the courage to become like children. Ever learning. Ever seeking. Ever laughing at the days to come.

Blessings,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment