Saturday, March 14, 2020

Where are you, God?: Part One

In the midst of the spread of the coronavirus, the world is asking questions. The world needs hope. I'm going to guess you need hope too.

Right now, I'm halfway around the world from my family. My mother's in assisted living and in lockdown. My kids' spring break has been extended. Two of my kids support themselves in the hospitality field and their jobs and incomes are vulnerable. My son's car was just totaled after a woman ran a red light. I'm in the process of trying fly back, but I'm having immigration issues on this end as it's time for our yearly renewal and can't leave yet.

So many uncertainties.

And I'll admit it, so much anxiety.

I started thinking today about how often I have talked about trials, tragedy and hope over the past decade on this blog. How most of the books I write, deal with those very questions. And how on a personal level, how I still question and ask God, 'Where are you?'

I started reading through some of my old blog posts and was amazed at how while it seems like everything has changed because of this pandemic, nothing has really changed at all. Life is fragile and unpredictable. Tragedy strikes unexpectedly. And yet one thing holds constant.

God.

Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to repost some blogs and share with you things that I have grappled with as I, like you, searched for answers. I hope it brings you a renewed hope, peace for your anxiety, and motivation to be the light during this difficult time as it has for me.

From Oct, 2, 2017

It seems as if tragedy after tragedy continues to rock our world. This morning as I was watching the news about Las Vegas, I couldn’t help but be reminded about the night our family was held by gunpoint in our home last year and beat up. It brought up the question that I know people are asking today. Why? Why could God let something like this happen? Because every time tragedy, loss, and evil surfaces, so do the questions. 

Sometimes when we ask--Where are you, God?--we ask it as if we are surprised about the evil we see. We wonder what’s wrong with our world when we watch constant news coverage of tragedies without any answers. We ask it because we want to know why God didn’t show up and stop what happened.

The truth is that sometimes God does intervene and dramatically steps in. 

But sometimes He doesn’t. 

As I began searching for myself after the attack, I was reminded that we live in a fallen world, and that God gives us the freedom to make choices. And what I begun to realize is that while most people wouldn’t like it if God forced us to follow him, we still want help when things go wrong. And here’s what really struck me. With freedom comes choice, but it also means we often have to suffer the consequences of bad choices—both ours and other peoples. God doesn’t give us free will, then stand over us and fix everything that goes wrong. 

Maybe that sounds like a cliché, but for me, it struck a cord.

Because here’s the other thing I was reminded of. When God doesn’t intervene, it doesn’t mean he isn’t there. I think it means just the opposite. Because he decided not to just sweep down and fix our problems every time something goes wrong. Instead he chose to redeem us eternally by sending his Son.

Immanuel. God with us.

Tragedies like right now with the coronavirus demonstrate the reality of a fallen world, and it’s pretty clear that none of us are immune from suffering. But God’s plan has always been a plan of redemption. While God is capable of fixing our problems, but He chose instead to rescue and redeem humankind permanently

There are no easy, pat answers. Nothing that will fix what is happening. But what He does promise is to walk with us through the bad times. As crazy as it seems, somehow, when bad things happen, we start to see God’s grace. We start to dig deeper. Often it takes trauma to get someone searching for God. And hard times give us compassion toward others, deeper love, and more courage. 

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (NLT)

***For some reason, I'm having issues with comment on my own blog. Please know that I'm reading your comments and praying for you today!

    

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, thank you! I, like many, wonder how long will this continue? All the what if’s plague my mind. But...Jesus...the only name that saves. The world needs him desperately...thank God those of us He calls children have Him. Let’s pray together for His divine intervention to overcome the enemy of our souls and minds. My daughter lives in WA, I live in NY. I was to go there in 2 weeks, but we decided later would be better. I miss them terribly. She doesn’t walk with God, I do...so I pray. Praying for you that God will move the mountains that stand in your way-He alone is able, may He be willing.
    Sandy Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa...this means so much to me. Praying for you....blessings~~

    ReplyDelete