Wednesday, October 05, 2011

The Sound of Silence

I don't know about you, but I'm finding it hard to believe that it's already October. Despite the raising temperature on our side of the world, my kids are already dreaming of a white Christmas (I can guarantee they won't get that one) and are asking if it's time to start playing Christmas music.

For me, I'm just wishing time would slow down so I can get caught up, or at the least a few extra hours per day would nice. Too bad life doesn't work that way, isn't it?

Sound familiar? I know I'm not the only one struggling to keep up with everything (including this blog!) My never ending to-do list made me start thinking this morning, though, about what is important.

The Bible has many verses on finding rest in the mist of what sometimes seems like chaos. Jesus was the ultimate example of how frequently left everything behind to spend time with His Heavenly Father. The examples of finding quiet and rest are plentiful as well.

"I will fight for you; you only need to be still." Ex. 14:14

"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret..." Ps 37:7

"Be still and know that I am God." Ps 46:10

"Be still before the Lord." Zech 2:13

"Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong." Job 6:24

"He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters..." Psalm 23:2

"Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of strive." Proverbs 17:1

 Here are some questions I am asking myself today. I'd love to hear your thoughts about finding the sound of silence in your own busy day.

  • Am I just spending my life multi-tasking so I can cross off the next project, or am I really seeing and hearing those who are around me and need me? My kids, my husband, my friends, and ministry...
  • Am I finding time to get away every day and spend time with God?
  • Am I feeding myself and growing spiritually?
  • Am I getting the rest and exercise I need to be able to care for my family?

Find rest in Him today,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment