Thursday, June 23, 2011

Never say never...



When we bought our house in South Africa, I gave Scott a list of things I would never do.

*I would never move until my children graduated from High School (if ever)

*I would never learn another language

*I would never home school my children

*I would certainly never send them away to boarding school.

Hmm...if you know anything about my life since that day several years ago, you might also know that God was probably smiling down at me and my plans. Because he soon made it very clear that my plans weren't His plans.

Through a very miraculous and clear word, God called us to Mozambique. What did this mean? It meant moving to not one, but two countries (Brazil on the way to Moz for language learning). It meant learning another language, and pulling my kids out of school in order to home school them.

Never say never? Right.

And now, the last of my "nevers" has just come about. I will never send my children off to boarding school.

With that said, I'm so exited to share that my baby (at fourteen) has just been admitted to Rift Valley Academy, a boarding school primarily for missionary kids, where he will start high school this fall. I can't say that I'm not a bit weepy over the prospect of him leaving, but I also know without a shadow of a doubt that God's hand is in this decision and in this transition for our family. Because of this, and for Gabe's sake, I couldn't be happier for this opportunity.

We visited the school last fall on the way to the States and knew at that time that Gabe was ready and that this is what would be best for him and his life.

Thanks so much for all of you who have been praying for his acceptance the past few months. And as for me, I'm already missing my boy, but also trying really hard to never say never. Especially when God's hand is involved.

Lisa

10 comments:

  1. Wow. I love the way God works, don't you? And I can imagine Him smiling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. He's always teaching me to completely rely on Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your faithfulness in following Him. You are so upbeat but I know it takes courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful!! So thankful for God's provision. We'll continue to pray as you guys transition. Much love to you all! -- Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sweet words ladies. May we all look to Him for our strength!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to smile at the title of this post and the list of nevers. Then I saw the RVA sign. Going to an MK boarding school changed my life, again. I was saved before then, but it was at the Alliance Academy in Ecuador that I learned to rely on Him, not just my parents, and really walk with Him. It wasn't always easy, but it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing, Patty! It's been a huge encouragement for me to meet others who have attended MK boarding schools as we have headed on this journey and to hear about their experiences. I really believe that this will be such a blessing for Him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am way behind reading blogs but did want to say a special "Hello" to Gabe as well as to you, Scott and the other children for this new venture. It is so hard when our dear children take these steps out on their journey toward adulthood. My comfort for my own children at those times years ago - and undoubtedly not too many years away will be for our grandchildren - is the assurance that God loves them far, far more than I am capable of!
    We continue to pray you all as this new adventure commences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary, and for your sweet words of encouragement! I know in the end, this will be a huge blessing for Gabe. Be blessed, Lisa

    ReplyDelete