Sunday, July 20, 2008

Eighteen Years ago. . .


Eighteen years ago today, I married my college sweetheart. Like all married couples, we’ve gone through better and worse, and unlike most, lived in half a dozen states and that many countries. Looking back, I’m amazed at all that God has brought us through, and the way He’s forged us together like a team.

Yesterday, as part of our downsizing process, we made a pit and burnt years of files and papers we don’t need anymore (thanks to the internet). For me though, some of these papers spanned a decade of my writing career--from old rejection letters, to proposals (that certainly weren’t ready to be sent off back then), to printed out critiques from my writing partners. It made me think of how much he’s supported me all these years, through all the rejections, hours spent writing, and eventually paid deadlines.

He cooks dinner when I’m up against a deadline, takes the kids out to give me some quiet time, and faithfully critiques every manuscript straight through before I send it in to my publisher. When I get discouraged, think about quitting, or am simply too tired of the juggling act, he helps me put life into perspective.

And of course, there is life beyond writing. Every woman, wife, and mother out there understands how complicated life can be. Yet, he’s always been there to wash the dishes, run an errand, and sometimes, just to simply listen.

So here’s to you, Babe. Thanks for the past eighteen years together. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for the next eighteen years!

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary, you two!! A great guy like that is hard to find. I'm glad my husband is like that too, especially on deadline, not ever letting me quit, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete