Sign up for my Author Newsletter
& receive BLOOD RANSOM ebook FREE!

Join My Mailing List
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust

Friday, April 01, 2016

Diary of a Wimpy Mom


I’ve always loved writing suspense for a number of reasons. I love the fight for justice and the assurance that the good guys will win. I love taking a real world situation, like human trafficking (Dangerous Passage) or an epidemic (Blood Covenant) and then show men and women taking risks to make a difference in the lives of people. In a world where there are not always happy endings, I also love the ability to create that happy ending for my characters.

And yet recently, everything changed on how I feel about writing suspense.

Two weeks ago, after spending almost a week in the hospital for a serious infection, three armed men walked into our house. To make a long story short, they tied us up—gave me two black eyes and a mild concussion in the process—and robbed us, including my wedding ring off my finger. While the black eyes are now almost gone, I’m still dealing with the effects of the trauma we faced. Like today, the first time I’ve had a chance to sit down to write again, I froze. Did I really want to jump back into the middle of writing a hostage situation?

Because as coincidental as this might sound, the day before the robbery, I had decided to write a blog post entitled the Diary of a Wimpy Mom. I was in the middle of writing my current manuscript and thought how ironic it was that while I put my characters through extremely difficult, life and death situations, I have no desire to even get on a rollercoaster!

Right now, I’m working on a book set in the Sahara where my heroine is kidnapped, then rescued by the hero, but soon they both face a race across the desert for their lives. It made me think about my own life. I’ve had several people ask me if I’d ever experienced some of the things I write about in my books. Uh. . .no. Are you kidding me? While a lot of people love an adrenalin rush from extreme sports, amusement parks, and even high-stress jobs, I don’t. At all. Call me a wimp, but I don’t like anything that gets my adrenaline going. And certainly not any of the scenarios I put my characters through. (I almost felt guilty turning in my last Nikki Boyd story to my editor, because the poor girl went through so much!)

Which is why I’ve had to go back and remind myself why I write what I write. I’ve shared my reasons before in various interviews and blogs in the past. About God calling ordinary people and using them to make a difference in the world. About our response to that call. And about how He, then, is the one who will give us the strength to do extraordinary things for Him.
           
I reminded myself as well that we all struggle. Not necessarily in the same way I make my characters struggle, but in our normal day to day struggle. Working hard, paying bills, dealing with hurts and illness, and loss. . .

Which maybe is the bottom line as to why when I write my stories, I want my readers to never forget that the God who created the universe loves us and wants to be our strength no matter what is happening in the world around us. Jesus came to heal the empty and broken hearted, and those searching for freedom and hope. Psalm 91 says that He is our refuge and fortress. He will cover us with his feathers and under His wings where we will find refuge.

So for now, I’m going to keep writing stories of justice and hope. And, of course, a happy ending.

Be a blessing,

Lisa 


11 comments:

  1. Love this. And I am a wimpy mom right with you! So thankful that our faith rests in God and that all that happens down here will not take away our eternal "happily ever after."

    Still praying for God's peace and comfort for you as you recover from the attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone, Linda! And love your words. Thanks for your prayers!

      Delete
  2. I had heard about what happened to you and your family. I have been praying for all of you and will continue to do so. I have wondered how the experience would affect you in your writing. God bless you for your willingness to be used by God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers! Appreciate it greatly!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Lisa, have been busy - and know now too busy to not have read about your traumatic and sad time before now! Have been really challenged and blessed by your suspense books I've read but so sorry about this horrible experience you've had. Continuing to pray for you all. After having a personal "taste" of being in some dark, scary places, I know YOU are very far from being "Wimpy"! Already, even with your comments here, God is using this experience for you to honour Him again in all that you are and do. I am so glad HE says, vengeance is His. He brings HIS justice on all who hurt in any way His children. May you continue to experience His loving care and the peace and assurance only He can give us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear from you, Mary. I do pray that God will use this to bring him honor. It's hard to see sometimes from our point of view, but he is in control! Thanks for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Harris, I am just hearing this. While I am horrified at what you and your family have been going through, I am blessed as well. Satan wouldn't be attacking you if you weren't a threat. While that can bring bittersweet thoughts, I hope that, in some way, it may encourage you to remember that the Lord has you: in every moment of fear, doubt, heartache, distress, frustration, anger, etc. May our Lord comfort your hearts, heal you in mind, body, soul; and bring great fruit for His kingdom because of your service and sacrifice to Him, because of your surrender. May He continue to provide for every need and keep you safe! May He "bless you... Keep you... Make His face shine upon you... Be gracious to you... And give you peace." In Jesus' name, and blood, and stripes, and power I pray. Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate greatly your encouraging prayer! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Prayers for your family and peace of God over you and your family and angels surround you! So sorry something so horrible happen oh may God's grace and comfort be with you! I agree with one of the comments as they said Satan see you as a threat he knows how God using you and your writing touch so many souls and touched many with your writing too bring them into the kindom of God! Continue prayers for you and your family����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Shell! Appreciate it greatly!

      Delete
  7. Tammerlee9:58 AM

    Ms. Harris,
    I was deeply grieved when I read about what happened to your family in your newsletter but praise God He was there with you through it all and continues to be. My husband and I love your books and are looking forward to Missing. Thank you for writing stories full of hope and reminders that God is strong enough. My struggle is chronic illness that leaves me bed ridden most of the time, and it's stories like your's, along with the Bible of course ;), that encourage me to hold onto God in the good and the bad. God bless you and you're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete